“Excessive gaming can be harmful to your health. Make sure to take a break and rest your eyes.” – The quote you will first see upon clicking on the Pangya game client. It is indeed so true; the game is very addictive and enjoyable you won’t be able to notice you’ve been playing the whole day.
Pangya is a multiplayer, casual, and a free-to-download golf game. It has been designed by Ntreev and the idea of the game is quite simple: to mimic the real-life golf but with more exciting features. Its global publishers are the SG Interactive and Gamerage and its servers are located in North America for global service, in Japan and Korea for the countries they are located in, and in Thailand for the whole Southeast Asia.
Unlike real-life golf where it can only be played one course for each competition, Pangya has almost 20 courses (each has 18 holes) wherein it can played at in just one seating. Moreover, these courses are not any ordinary golf courses in real life. Each course is uniquely designed to simulate different kinds of weather and environment. These courses include fields that can be good as beginner course, others are too windy, some have too much sand, several courses can be near a volcano or in an icy area, and many unique courses for more fun and exciting game.
The Game Modes
In Pangya, there are different modes of game you can play in to.
- The Family Mode in which a player can actually play his/her own characters against each other; this mode is good as training ground to hit accurately for a target hole in a particular course.
- The Ghost Mode is when a player competes other player’s recording of an 18-hole game even if he/she is offline or busy.
- The Lounges or Player Squares are the areas where a player can just interact with or buy and sell in-game items with other players.
- The Special Shuffle Course Mode is an 18-hole game with each hole is from randomized course, with the last hole is special, and gives rewards upon the completion of it.
- The Versus Mode is where a player can compete against other players through turn based game in which the room host/starter will be the one to decide the course, how many holes, and single or team match of the game.
- The Tournament Mode is the arena where four or more players will compete to each other in real time. It has three game modes: the Regular Tournament in which the player will have to complete a three, six, nine, or eighteen holes in a course where the room starter decided to play in to; the Team Tournament where a player get to choose his/her team (red or blue), will play against other team, and upon completion, the score of both teams will be tallied up and with the highest score wins; lastly, the Guild Battle, like Team Tourney, a player along with his/her guild mates will compete against other guild in game this time.
- The Battle Mode is the last game mode of Pangya where players can gamble Pangs (Pangya currency) through Versus Mode-like game and through Approach where players have to hit the golf ball to the hole without getting chipped in; the closest and fastest player wins.
The Currency, In-game items, and more
Pangya’s in-game currency is called Pang. With this virtual money, a player can buy in-game items buyable through Pangs like clothes, golf balls or also known as comets, club set and even caddies, and other items that are useful on playing the game. Otherwise, a player has to buy credits from real money to be able to buy in-game items which are technically attributed much well than the regular items that can only be bought through Pangs.
The Characters, Special Skills, and Attributes
There are ten uniquely designed characters a player can play with. Each character has its own attributes that can determine if it’s good on long yardage, has a higher chance of hitting the ball or curving the ball, and has a long or short spins.
Basically and realistically, a golf ball can be hit as it is. Because it’s a computer game, Pangya can be played through mouse and/or keyboard alone wherein the spacebar is primarily used for hitting the ball and arrow keys are used for special skills. When initiating to hit the ball, tap the spacebar. A fast moving hit bar on the bottom of the screen will then be seen and tapping the spacebar the second time will determine the distance of the hit. Finally, in order to hit the ball accurately, a player should tap the spacebar once again when the moving bar hits exactly on the white area; a successful shot will then be made also known as Pangya Shot or shortened as Pangya.
Meanwhile, the Special Skills are used on hitting the ball. These skills can be used through the arrow keys plus a successful Pangya shot.
- The Spin is used for stopping or extending the golf ball’s distance after several bounces by holding up (for forward) or down (for backward) arrow keys plus a Pangya Shot.
- The Tomahawk is a fiery shot by tapping up and then down arrow keys plus a Pangya Shot.
- The Cobra is an upward shot and then the ball bounces down until it stops. The keys used are right and up arrow keys, and a successful Pangya Shot.
- The Spike is made by quick tap of right followed by down arrow keys and a Pangya Shot.
Pangya is a non-violent game as it is made to simulate the real-life golf; the characters, the environment, and game features are child friendly. In addition, the Game Moderators or the GM’s are very active in monitoring and supervising the Pangya community against any offensive deeds like hacking, spamming, or even cursing blatantly in-game. In addition, the game can be easily played as it does have a tutorial for beginners plus a free start-up items that can help players to get engaged in the game efficiently and enjoyably.